Welcome to The Oviedo Daily

The Oviedo Daily is the destination for:

• Local News
  • City Hall and Politics
  • Local Sports
  • Personal Finance
  • Business

Member Login

Lost your password?

Not a member yet? Sign Up!

Journalist Steps Into Lay Leadership Role

February 28, 2011
By

Manning Pynn has been elected to the position of chairman of the board of Carroll McKenney Foundation for Public Media, Inc (CMF). The election, by a unanimous vote, occurred at the board’s annual meeting on January 20.

At the same meeting, Charlie Stuart was elected as vice chairman of the board. Stuart served previously as a trustee and an at-large member of the board’s executive committee. Pynn and Stuart will each serve a 1-year term in their respective offices. Each is eligible for re-election to the office.

Manning Pynn, 65, has lived in Florida since childhood, growing up in the Orlando area and beginning a journalistic career with The Orlando Sentinel — first as a copyboy and then as the assistant to the newspaper’s owner, editor and publisher. Pynn went on to work as a reporter and, eventually, as the night city editor of The Tampa Tribune. From there he moved to The Miami Herald, where he successively was the night city editor, news editor, executive business editor and state editor. Pynn returned to the Sentinel in 1984, where he oversaw the launching of the weekly Central Florida Business (CFB) publication and subsequently managed a wide variety of newsroom divisions. He chaired the Sentinel’s editorial board for eight years, in the last of which The Sentinel was awarded the Pulitzer Prize for Editorial Writing.

For seven years thereafter, Pynn was the newspaper’s ombudsman. While in that role, Pynn served as vice president and member of the board of directors of the international Organization of News Ombudsmen. He has a degree in political science from the University of South Florida, is studying media management at the University of Missouri and teaches journalism at the University of Central Florida and at Seminole State College, where he advises the student newspaper, The Scribe.

Charlie Stuart is the founder of Making Faith Matter, a non-profit, strategic consulting company, specializing in helping faith organizations develop fully engaged members, resulting in increased member commitment, giving, volunteering, attracting seekers, and service to the community.

Charlie Stuart is a native Orlandoan.  He is a graduate of the University of Florida with a degree in Business and Economics. Prior to his political campaigns, Stuart was a business consultant, author and professional speaker on marketing and sales.  He has volunteered for 25+ years with the YMCA as a local board member, on national task forces for the YMCA of the USA, and as a speaker and consultant on membership, philanthropy and mission. From 2005 to 2008, Stuart was a candidate for the U.S. Congress.

Manning Pynn succeeds CMF trustee Judith M. Duda, who served two years as the inaugural chair of the non-profit public media charity. Duda will continue as a trustee and, as immediate past chair, will also serve on the board’s executive committee.

At the same meeting the board elected four new trustees, elected or re-elected several board officers, and appointed at-large members to its executive committee. The board also recognized with a special honor a founding incorporator and four other trustees on the occasion of their retirement from board service. Details on those actions will be posted in a future article.

Carroll McKenny Foundation for Public MediaCarroll McKenney Foundation for Public Media (CMF), located in Oviedo, Florida is a not-for-profit corporation acknowledged by the Internal Revenue Service as an income tax exempt 501(c) (3) publically supported charity. Carroll McKenney Public Media was founded in 2008 as a non-commercial and educational on-line public media program venture. Since launching in September 2009, CMF produces and distributes its program content via the Internet about Central Florida issues and voices that matter. Content is produced in the form of short audio segments or features available on-line via on-demand audio streaming and downloadable audio podcasts.

CMF’s on-line audio content is produced under the series title Central Florida Matters and Heard in Central Florida. Central Florida Matters is a collection of local features posted on-line every four weeks. Heard in Central Florida features gavel-to-gavel presentations of speeches and informal talks from panels or individual subject matter experts spoken at events held by local civic organizations. They are posted as produced.

Tags: , , ,